Historical Bückeburg:


Post card of the city hall from 1943

Weekly market in the 1920s

Willi Brandt visiting Bückeburg

Over the roofs of Bückeburg around 1930

History

Bückeburg developed from a moated castle built in the beginning of the 14th century that was named for the "Alte Bückeburg" situated near Obernkirchen. Already in 1365 it became an independent township when it was granted hamlet privilege. Bückeburg received town privileges only in 1609 when Count Ernst of Holstein-Schaumburg (1601 - 1622) chose the castle of Bückeburg as his residence and made the town the seat of his government.

The town owes its first cultural blossom to numerous well-known artists that came to Bückeburg during the 18th century. By inviting personages as Thomas Abbt, Johann-Gottfried Herder and Johann-Christoph-Friedrich Bach to Bückeburg that in the meantime had become the capital of the county Schaumburg-Lippe, the town obtained a firm place in German intellectual history.

The appointment of Dr. Bernhard Christoph Faust as the count's personal physician proved to be very important. Dr. Faust brilliantly contributed to the field of medicine, among others by introducing the small pox vaccination. This important man is still remembered today when the school kids celebrate the "Krengelfest" every four years. This celebration is based on the fact that once the school kids received a "Krengel" (pretzel) after they had been vaccinated.

In the course of the 19th century's industrial development that initially went past Bückeburg without leaving a trace, the population still increased to approximately 6,500.

The famous writer Hermann Löns edited the county's newspaper from 1907 to 1909. He erected a not very complimentary memorial in the honor of Schaumburg-Lippe by means of his satirical "Duodez".

In the course of the 20th century, Bückeburg underwent numerous serious modifications: It lost its county privilege in 1934 as well as its function as county seat in 1948 which resulted from the fact that the county Schaumburg-Lippe became a part of Lower Saxony two years before.

Stadt Bückeburg

  • Marktplatz 2 - 4
  • 31675 Bückeburg

Details